Adult Student Checklist

Adult Student Checklist

Coming back to school? Starting for the first time? We're here to help — use the checklist for adult learners below to get everything you need.

Connect with the Admissions Team

✔ Apply for Admission

Once you’ve decided to join us at Kirkwood, complete your FREE application online.

✔ Request Official Transcripts

If you're transferring to Kirkwood from another school, or if you've attended college at all in the past, contact your former school's registrar office and ask them to send your official college transcript to us at:

Kirkwood Community College
Enrollment Services
6301 Kirkwood Blvd. SW
Cedar Rapids, IA 52404

✔ Fulfill the Placement Process

  • For math, take a free ALEKS math placement assessment online on MyHub (see more info below)
    • OR submit qualifying ACT/SAT test score
    • OR provide qualifying college transcripts
  • For reading and writing provide qualifying high school GPA
    • OR submit qualifying ACT/SAT test score
    • OR provide qualifying college transcripts


If you're not able to fulfill reading and writing placement with any of the above, you will have a conversation about placement with your advisor at orientation

Note: The Accuplacer is no longer required for reading and writing placement.


Information about ALEKS
The ALEKS math placement assessment is now online and available through MyHub. The ALEKS is a required math assessment used to map a student’s strengths and weaknesses and determine the most appropriate courses for each student. Note: the ALEKS assessment must be taken through Kirkwood.

Based on your placement results, high school GPA, or prior college credit, you’ll be able to register for reading, writing, and math courses that are right for you. 

✔ Attend a Program Conference

Some academic programs at Kirkwood require you to attend a program conference before being admitted. You’ll get specific information about the program and special requirements like time commitments and academic expectations.

✔ Apply for Financial Aid

If you’re planning to use federal financial aid to pay for college, submit your Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) after October 1. Kirkwood’s school code is: 004076.

✔ Check Out Scholarships

Kirkwood awards over $3 million to students every year! Apply now to be considered for awards specifically for adult students.

✔ Sign Up for Orientation

New student orientation helps you transition to college. Orientation is required for all new students. You’ll meet your advisor and enroll in your first semester courses. Explore student services, activities, and resources, and make new friends!

✔ Buy Your Books

Once you’re registered for classes, stop by the Kirkwood Bookstore to get the materials you need to succeed.


Admissions Office

Phone: 319-398-7600


On campus: 3rd Floor Iowa Hall

Apply Today Find Your Future