Dean of Students

Dean of Students

The Dean of Students Office offers ample support services for Kirkwood students. Whether you've fallen a bit behind in your classes or just need someone to talk to, our resources can help put you on the right track. 

Connect with the Dean of Students Office for supportive resources related to academic advising, counseling, career services, and more.

Looking for COVID-related Info

Services Offered

Looking for a job or new career? Need help writing your resume or practicing job interview skills? Career Services can help you get ahead.

Reach Out

Free and confidential counseling services are available to all Kirkwood students. If you're having trouble with a relationship, are experiencing issues in school, or just need someone to talk to, reach out to one of our experienced counselors today. 

Contact Counseling 

All currently enrolled Kirkwood students are invited to receive pre-packaged perishable and non-perishable grocery items from the Student Food Pantry on our main campus – at no cost! This is a pick-up only service, meaning there will be no shopping or selection of specific products.

Learn More

Kirkwood Pathways for Academic Career Education and Employment assists in earning a two-year degree for those in the low-income wage bracket, and eligible to work in the U.S.

Learn More

Learn everything you need to know about being a Kirkwood student at an orientation session! All students must complete an orientation before beginning classes. 

Sign Up for Orientation

Project START (Supported Training and Retraining) offers academic, personal, and financial help so you can get your degree, get out there and get a great job. 

Learn More

Iowa Hall 3040 (3rd Floor)


The reflection room provides a calm and private space for individuals to engage in expressions of their religious, spiritual, and meditative practices. The room will include a carpeted floor covering or rugs. It will be marked with signage reading "Reflection Room" and equipped with a lockable door.

Creating an inclusive physical campus means accommodating the spiritual needs of the campus community through a space that can balance a diversity of religious, spiritual, and meditative practices. This intentional space allows individuals to exercise those expressions without disruption.

The Dean of Students Office provides a variety of resources to help faculty and staff assist students and refer to appropriate resources. Here you can find key information for emergency and non-emergency situations.

It may be helpful to talk one-on-one with a Dean of Students Office staff member.

Make an AppointmentStudent Concern Form

If you have a physical, emotional or mental disability that prevents you from getting a job or keeping one, our on-campus rehabilitation counselor can work with you to get you the help you need.

Learn More

Faculty & Staff Tips & Resources

As you interact with students, situations or conversations may come about which cause you concern. Often, you will be the first person to realize students need assistance. We encourage you to utilize your relationships with students to help them find the answers or help they need.

Helpful tips:

  • If appropriate, contact students directly if you have concerns.
  • Speak to students privately and in person when appropriate and possible.
    • Share with the student that you are concerned about their well-being.
    • See if the student is willing to share information with that will allow you to appropriately provide support resources to the student.
    • If appropriate, let the student know that you will be sharing information about the student with the Dean of Students Office.
    • If student behavior is not appropriate set clear expectations moving forward and communicate consequences if the behavior continues.
  • Depending on their situation, refer students to the appropriate resources on or off campus.
  • The Dean of Students Office can help! If you are unsure of the best way to help students, then we can accept referrals or consult in person, by phone call or e-mail about how you best serve each unique student to address concerns or situations.

Faculty & Staff Resources

In case of emergencies on campus, call 9-1-1. Follow immediately with a call to Campus Security at 319-398-7777. Campus Security is available 24 hours a day, seven days a week on main campus only.

Contact the Dean of Students Office at 319-398-5540.

  • Personal concerns
  • Personal tragedy or significant event impacts a student’s ability to be successful
  • Multiple or particularly complex issues that impede a student’s success
  • Individual identifies oneself as having mental health concerns

Contact Counseling Services.

If Counseling Services is closed, contact Campus Security at 319-398-7777.


  • Anxiety
  • Depression
  • Suicidal thoughts or emotional disturbances

Dean of Students Office, 2nd Floor Kirkwood Hall, 319-398-5540

View Full Student Conduct Code



  • Consultation concerning student behavior
  • Inappropriate/disruptive behavior or violation of the Student Conduct Code. 
  • Plagiarism or other forms of academic misconduct

Contact the student’s academic advisor, Dean of Students Office or connect to appropriate support resource. Faculty can find a student’s academic advisor in MyHub. For a list of support services go to

Faculty encouraging a student to drop a class should contact the student directly. 

  • Missing one or more classes within the first two weeks of the term
  • Low or no engagement in the classroom
  • Isolation from other students
  • Poor performance early in the term
  • Student is seeking to withdraw

Go to the Kirkwood Not Anymore page for more information or the Sexual Misconduct Involving Students policy.

The Vice President of Student Services is responsible for closing the records of deceased students. The Vice President of Student Services, or designee, acts as a liaison between the student’s family and the college, to help manage college related business.

If a faculty or staff member are made aware of the death of a student, contact the Office of the Vice President of Students Services. The Office of the Vice President of Students Services or Dean of Students Office will work with the appropriate academic programs, classes and those impacted to provide support services.

If your question doesn't fall into one of the situations described above, contact the Dean of Students Office directly to consult. We are located on the 2nd Floor of Kirkwood Hall. Call us at: 319-398-5540.