Enrollment Policies

Find information about our enrollment policies and what they mean for you.

For any questions that aren't addressed on this page, reach out to the Registrar's Office at: 319-398-7600.

Appeals, Complaints, and Conduct Policies

The Special Appeals Committee may consider an appeal to a Kirkwood refund or enrollment policy for situations that are beyond the student’s control. There is no form to fill out. To make an appeal, the student must:

1. Write a letter to the “Special Appeals Committee” that:

  • Includes the student’s full name and k-number
  • Explains what happened that was beyond the student’s control
  • Explains when it happened
  • Describes what the student is asking Kirkwood to do

2. Make copies of documents such as a doctor’s note that support the student’s claim, are detailed and include the date of the event.

A request for a tuition refund due to medical reasons must include a document that proves the medical condition has been treated or improved to the point where it will no longer prevent the student from completing future courses.

3. Mail the letter and copies of supporting documents to:

Enrollment Services
3046L Iowa Hall
Kirkwood Community College
6301 Kirkwood Blvd SW
Cedar Rapids, IA 52404

Or email them, preferably from your Kirkwood email account, to enrollment@kirkwood.edu

Students who receive financial aid and withdraw from all classes may end up with a balance due even if an appeal is approved. Federal regulations govern how much of the aid a student must pay back. The Financial Aid office makes this calculation after all classes are dropped. Any student considering dropping all classes should first speak with a financial aid representative located on 3rd floor of Iowa Hall to determine how dropping would affect their financial aid.

Keep in Mind

  • Committee decisions are final.
  • Detailed supporting documentation must be submitted with the letter but it does not assure the request will be granted.
  • Generally, a student will only have one appeal of policy approved. 

Find your course’s last day to drop and last day for a refund.

Iowa Code Section 261F.2 and Title 34 of the Code of Federal Regulations, Section 601.21, require the development, administration, and enforcement of a code of conduct governing educational loan activities.

Our officers, employees, trustees and agents, including the alumni association, booster club, and other organizations associated with Kirkwood Community College, agree to the provisions of this Code of Conduct and will refrain from:

  • Refusing to certify or delaying the certification of an education loan based on a borrower’s choice of lender.
  • Assigning a first-time borrower to a particular private education loan lender through the student’s financial aid award or another means.
  • Packaging a private education loan in a student’s financial aid award, except when the student is ineligible for other financial aid, has exhausted his or her federal student aid eligibility, has not filed a Free Application for Federal Student Aid, or refuses to apply for a federal student loan.
  • Accepting impermissible gifts, goods, or services from a lender, lender servicer, or guarantor. The institution may accept default prevention, financial literacy, or student aid-related educational services or materials, or other items of a nominal value.
  • Accepting philanthropic contributions from a lender, lender servicer, or guarantor that are related to the educational loans provided by the entity that is making the contribution.
  • Serving on or otherwise participating as a member of an advisory council for a lender, lender affiliate, or lender servicer.
  • Accepting from a lender or its affiliate any fee, payment, or other financial benefit as compensation for any type of consulting arrangement or other contract to provide education loan-related services to or on behalf of the lender.
  • Accepting fees or other benefits in exchange for endorsing a lender or the lender’s loan products.
  • Requesting or accepting an offer of funds for private education loans from a lender, in exchange for our promise to provide the lender with placement on a preferred lender list, or a certain number of volume of private education loans.

This institution is committed to providing the information and resources necessary to help every student achieve educational success. To accomplish this goal the financial aid staff will consider each student’s individual needs.

A comprehensive Code of Conduct detailing permissible and impermissible activities has been provided to all of our officers, employees, and agents affiliated with this college.

Kirkwood encourages students to share concerns about the quality of service provided by any support area or the quality of the learning experience provided by faculty. Kirkwood’s complaint procedure is intended to provide a clear process for the college to address student and community concerns.

For more information and a link to the student complaint form, please see the Student Complaint Procedure in the college catalog.

Residency Policies

Students enrolling at Kirkwood are classified as residents or nonresidents of Iowa, or as international students, for admission and tuition purposes by the college Registrar’s Office. The Iowa Department of Education establishes requirements for proof of Iowa residency for community colleges.

To determine resident or non-resident residency, the primary determination is the reason a person is in the state of Iowa. The second determination will be the length of time a person has resided in Iowa (a minimum of 90 days prior to the start of the semester). If a person is in the state primarily for educational purposes, that person will be considered a non-resident. If a person holds an F-1 or J-1 student visa status, the residency classification is international. 

Please note that a student cannot be a resident of two states at the same time. If your home is in another state and you are living in Iowa for the purpose of attending school, you are a resident of your home state and not a resident of Iowa.

Residency status changes are not automatic. They must be requested by the student. The Request to Change Residency Status form must be submitted to the Registrar’s Office no later than the first week of classes for the request to be considered for the current semester. Requests submitted later than this will be reviewed and considered for the following semester. In no case will a residency status be changed retroactively for prior terms.

The domicile of a minor shall follow that of the parent with whom the minor resides, except where emancipation of said minor can be proven. The word “parent” herein shall include legal guardian or others in cases where the lawful custody of a minor has been awarded to persons other than the minor’s actual parents. A minor living with a resident of Iowa who is legally responsible for the minor shall be granted resident status if the minor has lived with the Iowa resident for at least 90 days immediately prior to enrollment. The residency status of an emancipated minor shall be based upon the same qualifications established for a student having attained majority.

  1. A student who is a refugee or who is granted asylum by an appropriate agency of the United States must provide proof of certification of refugee or asylum grantee status. A student may be accorded resident status for admission and tuition purposes when the student comes directly, or within a reasonable time, to the state of Iowa from a refugee facility or port of debarkation and has not established domicile in another state.
  2. A student who has immigrant status, and the student’s spouse or dependents, may establish Iowa residency in the same manner as a United States citizen.
  3. A student who has nonimmigrant status and who holds a non-student visa and the student’s spouse or dependents, may establish residency in the same manner as a United States citizen. A person who has non-immigrant status and whose primary purpose for being in Iowa is educational, is classified as non-resident.
  4. A student who is a resident of an Iowa sister state may be classified as a resident or non-resident, in accordance with rules adopted by the college’s board of directors.

A student, or the student’s spouse or dependent child, who has moved into the state of Iowa as the result of military or civil orders from the federal government, and the minor children of such student, is immediately an Iowa resident.

Residency of Veterans and Family Members and individuals covered under Section 702 of the Veterans Access, Choice and Accountability Act of 2014.

A Veteran of a uniformed service, a member of the national Guard, or the veteran’s or member’s spouse or dependent child shall be classified as an Iowa resident student and be eligible for resident tuition and fee amounts, if the veteran or national guard member meets the requirements of paragraph 21.2(11) “b”(5)1,” “2,” or “3.”

  1. The veteran has separated from a uniformed service with an honorable or general discharge, is eligible for benefits, or has exhausted benefits under the federal Post-9/11 Veterans Educational Assistance Act of 2008 or any other federal authorizing veteran educational benefits program.
  2. The individual is an active duty military person, or activated or temporarily mobilized National Guard member.
  3. The individual is a covered person under Section 702 of the Veterans Access, Choice and Accountability Act of 2014 or subsequent legislation.

Other Policies

Kirkwood retains official academic records of enrollment and credit earned (transcripts) in perpetuity. The transcript is considered the final accurate record of academic accomplishment. 

Read the full student records policy

Tuition refunds are computed as of the date the class is dropped via MyHub, or is withdrawn at the Enrollment Services office or at a Kirkwood Center.

You can find the refund date for your class or the refund dates for your whole schedule here.

Read the full tuition refund policy

If a student withdraws completely or fails all courses (or any combination of the two), the Higher Education Amendments of 1998, Public Law 105-244, requires colleges to determine how much aid must be returned (repaid) to the U.S. Department of Education. Students could be required to return (repay) all or a portion of federal grants if they earned zero credit hours for the term.

Read the full Return of Title IV Funds policy


The National Guard or Reserve policy offers options to a student who is a member, or the spouse of a member if the member has a dependent child, of the National Guard or reserve forces of the United States and who is ordered to start national guard, military service or federal service or duty.

Read the full National Guard or Reserve policy


Contact the Registrar's Office:

Phone: 319-398-7600 or 1-877-386-9101
Fax: 319-398-4928
Email: Registrar - registrar@kirkwood.edu

Location: 3rd Floor Iowa Hall
Monday – Friday, 8 a.m. – 5 p.m.

Mailing Address:

Kirkwood Community College
Registrar's Office
6301 Kirkwood Blvd. SW
Cedar Rapids, Iowa 52404